This simple and convenient vegan mushroom stew is hearty and delicious,
and will become your new favorite family meal.
From Ayurvedic Point of View:
Mushrooms have an earthy flavor like a dark, rich, and loamy soil. That
earthiness is a symbol of the potential of the mushrooms to hold you
grounded and calm your nervous system. They are called ‘Tamasic’ in
Ayurveda, implying that they make the consciousness sleepy.
Mushrooms are particularly absorbent minerals in the soil, along with a
rich nutritional profile, as their earthy flavor indicates. As well as
mushrooms consume minerals, they even accumulate any toxins
they’re grown in, and have also been used to clean up toxins waste sites.
That’s why you should always consume organic mushrooms.
Time to Prepare: 30 minutes
1 tbsp. olive oil (optional, see note below)
1 yellow onion (diced)
2 tsp. dried parsley
3 yellow potatoes (cut into 1-inch chunks)
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. tomato paste
454 grams cremini mushrooms, approximately 6 cups (halved
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
4 carrots (cut into 1-inch chunks)
4 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add the oil, broth, or water to
the Pot. Add the onions and Sauté until softened, around 3-4
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil, thyme, and black pepper and mix to cover with the
mushrooms and onions.
- Add the tomato paste, mix again. Add the broth and stir to mix
all the components, make sure to clean any pieces that have
stuck to the bottom of the Pot.
- Add carrots, potatoes, vegan Worcestershire sauce and mix
again. Cancel the Sauté function.
- Add the bay leaf, place and lock the lid on the Pot and close the
pressure relief valve. Set to Pressure Cook for 12 minutes. Pot is
going to take about 10 minutes to get under pressure.
- While the stew is cooking under pressure, make the slurry by
whisking the arrowroot starch (or cornstarch) and water in a
- When the Pressure Cooking time is over, click Cancel and open
the pressure release valve to relieve the pressure manually.
- When the pressure has been released and the float valve pin has
dropped, unlock it gradually and remove the lid. Remove the
bay leaf and swirl the mixture so that it recombines.
- Offer the slurry a quick whisk to recombine and stir it in the
- Stir in the cold peas and the dried parsley.
- If you like oil-free, the onions and mushrooms may even be
Sautéed in water instead of oil.
- When I cook the mushrooms, I slice smaller mushrooms in half
and larger mushrooms in quarters, and occasionally in sixths or
sometimes in eighths. The important thing is that the bits are