These are the BEST Creamy Dreamy Mashed Potatoes! Step-by-step instructions on how to make the creamiest mashed potatoes every single time!
- 3 pounds russet or yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 sticks + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 7 cloves garlic cloves individually smashed with the back of a knife
- 3/4 cup warm heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Melt 1 stick of butter on a low heat in a small saucepan. Continue to keep warm on a low heat until milk solids rise to the top, remove milk solids. Add smashed garlic and cook on low to infuse the garlic, 15 minutes. REMOVE GARLIC CLOVES AND DISCARD, keep butter warm over a low heat.
- While the butter melts and garlic cooks, add potatoes to a medium pot and fill with water making sure all potatoes are covered, Season water liberally with salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, making sure to get rid of ALL excess moisture. VERY IMPORTANT! I like to let them drain for a few minutes in the colander and then blot them with a dry paper towel.
- While potatoes are still hot, pass through a ricer and add back to the same pot you cooked them in. (I rice them into the pot.)
- Pour in melted butter, salt, and warm cream. Use a hand held mixer on a medium speed until the potatoes are whipped and butter is incorporated, about 2-3 minutes, max. Do not over mix. Add sour cream and use the mixer on the lowest setting to mix until smooth, another minute or so. (Sour cream does not need to be at room temperature or warm.) DO NOT OVER BEAT. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish. Melt remaining butter and pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika and chopped parsley.